Communications Intern - March-June 2017
Women Thrive Alliance is seeking a Communications Intern to assist with social media platforms, writing and editing blog posts, event support, research, and administrative tasks. The position is an in-office position from March to June and is UNPAID.
Women Thrive is a global network of over 250 member organizations located in over 50 countries. These organizations are led by local change-makers who believe that women and girls should live free from violence, enjoy quality education, and achieve economic empowerment. They believe that by challenging the status quo, they can achieve greater equality for all. We support our Alliance members by making sure that they are equipped with the skills, knowledge, resources, and connections they need to reach their full potential as gender equality and women’s rights advocates.
The Communications Intern will report directly to the Senior Communications Manager.
Description of Tasks
The Communications Intern will support the Senior Communications Manager by ensuring Women Thrive’s external communications are on-brand and engaging for a variety of audiences. The Intern’s tasks and responsibilities include:
- Maintain and develop social media content including, but not limited to United Nations Sustainable Development Goal 5 (SDG5) on gender equality, Women Thrive Alliance members, and twitter chats
- Monitor media contacts and lists; coordinate existing press archive, catalog media mentions, organize publications and video materials
- Research and edit blogs and other content
- Assist in planning and implementing communications campaigns and other aspects of an evolving communications strategy
- Update and maintain quote/story bank related to Alliance members’ communications needs, priorities, and participation.
- Other communications support as needed, including administrative assistance
Preferred skills and experience
- Strong grasp of and commitment to women’s rights, gender equality, and global development required.
- Excellent research and writing skills
- Strong familiarity with monitoring and developing social media content (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram)
- Good computer skills, particularly in MS Office programs. Familiarity with Photoshop, Piktochart, or other graphic design tools is a plus
- Ability to take initiative and work independently, as well as in a team setting
- Strong verbal, written, and intercultural communication skills. Must be fluent in English
- Collaborative work-style, superior organizational skills, detail-oriented, ability to multitask efficiently, motivated by project management and deadlines
- 20-30 hours per week. Must be able to bring personal laptop to office.
- This is an UNPAID position.
Please send a copy of your resume and a brief cover letter stating why you're interested in this position. Open till filled.
Email Devon O’Reilly at email@example.com. Please be sure to write “Communications Intern” in the subject line. NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.