Women Thrive Worldwide, one of the lead organizations working to bring the voices of women and men around the world to policymakers in Washington, D.C. and beyond, seeks a Director of Global Partnerships (GP). The GP Director will lead the organization’s work to strengthen and expand relationships with women’s and grassroots movements as well as our Global Partnerships Network (GPN), which includes organizations in over 30 countries. The Director will liaise with each department to ensure that our partnership work informs the organization’s advocacy, communications, and fundraising agendas with input from the women and communities it serves.
The Global Partnerships Director will serve in the following additional ways:
- Work with Supervisor, the Vice President of Policy and Government Affairs (PGA), to:
Develop the vision, strategy and action plan for strengthening and expanding Women Thrive’s Global Partnerships Network and engagement with individuals and organizations in the global south;
Develop and execute a strategy to increase Women Thrive’s ability to engage in advocacy capacity building initiatives with our partners.
- Work with the PGA team to facilitate advocacy partnerships with women’s organizations, provide ongoing coaching and support to partners as needed, and track the impact of Women Thrive’s advocacy on the ground.
- Work with the VP of Communications and Outreach and the Comms team to develop and execute a strategy for expanding Women Thrive’s Global Partner “story bank” as well as increasing media and online visibility.
- Maintain, grow and deepen important relationships with grassroots organizations in 5 specific countries - Haiti, Ghana, Bangladesh, and two additional countries in East Africa and Central America - to help achieve Women Thrive’s policy goals for education, gender-based violence prevention, food security, aid effectiveness and increasing economic opportunities.
- Work with the Director of Education to support a variety of learning advocacy goals, including identifying and sponsoring global south education experts to be influential participants in UN post 2015 initiatives.
- Work with VP of Organizational Advancement to advance fundraising goals related to Women Thrive’s global partnerships work.
- Develop and execute a GPN communications plan, including consistent email and phone outreach to partners and the writing of a monthly newsletter in English, French and Spanish.
- Survey and interview global south women, men and organizations to elicit their priorities in order to inform our advocacy work.
- Stay abreast of issues facing women worldwide and share key information with the Women Thrive team.
- Identify and help build the capacity of powerful spokespersons from developing countries (including male allies) on Women Thrive’s issue areas to speak directly to both U.S. and global policymakers.
- Oversee certain members of the staff in their capacity of coordinating travel and other logistics for global partners and Women Thrive staff.
This position will require:
- A Bachelor’s degree required. Masters degree preferred.
- At least 5 years professional experience working with global south grassroots partners, ideally in Africa or the Caribbean.
- Fluency in English and either French or Spanish required. Fluency in all three languages strongly desired.
- Strong verbal, written and intercultural communication skills.
- Experience in gender analysis and working on women’s issues in the international development context.
- Collaborative work-style, superior organizational skills and ability to multitask efficiently.
- Ability to be flexible and adaptive with a proactive, innovative spirit geared towards creative solutions.
- Interest in forging new pilot initiatives between global south partners and the private sector.
- At least 2 years of management experience.
The candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States and be able to travel up to 25 percent of their time.
Women Thrive offers a unique mission and a challenging and collegial work environment with competitive salary and benefits.
How to Apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter with the subject line “Global Partnerships Director” to firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. No phone calls please.