These tools and resources are to help improve your organization's advocacy for women and girls and to help you learn more about important issues.
This training guide is to help civil society organizations improve their advocacy. Along with our other advocacy tools, this can be used in training sessions, as a guide to plan a particular advocacy campaign, and as a general resource in your organization’s work.
- An Introduction to Advocacy (PDF Book) (English / Français)
- An Introduction to Advocacy (Powerpoint) (English / Français)
- Module 1: What is Advocacy? (English / Français)
- Module 2: Identifying Policy Issues (English / Français)
- Module 3: Selecting an Advocacy Objective (English / Français)
- Module 4: Researching Audiences (English / Français)
- Module 5: Developing and Delivering Advocacy Messages (English / Français)
- Module 6: Understanding the Decision-Making Process (English / Français)
- Module 7: Building Alliances (English / Français)
- Module 8: Making Effective Presentations (English / Français)
- Module 9: Fundraising for Advocacy (English / Français)
- Module 10: Improving Your Advocacy (English / Français)
Women Thrive has created a fully customizable set of eight advocacy training sessions (1.5 hours each) to teach and practice basic advocacy skills and sustainable development advocacy. These sessions are very interactive, and are ideal for grassroots advocates. We recently used this material in a successful 2-day training workshop in Nairobi, Kenya with women and men from across Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Advocacy Training Workshop all materials and facilitators guide (English & Français)
- Session 1: Introduction to Advocacy (English & Français)
- Session 2: Mapping Strategies (English & Français)
- Session 3: Identifying Targets (English & Français)
- Session 4: Effective Messaging (English & Français)
- Session 5: Introduction to Post-2015 (English & Français)
- Session 6: Post-2015 Advocacy in Practice (English & Français)
- Session 7: Strategic Advocacy (English & Français)
- Session 8: Effective Meetings (English & Français)
These presentations can guide you through specific advocacy topics, like messaging, activism, and cooperation.
- The Power of Women's and Girls' Voices for Education Policy Change: Part I: Lessons from Collective Global Advocacy ( | | Powerpoint)
- The Power of Women’s and Girls’ Voices for Education Policy Change: Part II: Effective Messaging on Global Education ( | | Powerpoint)
- How to be an Equitable Education Champion: Lessons for Everyday Activists ( | | Powerpoint)
Resources to Advocate for the Global Goals
Are you interested in advocating for the Global Goals? Not sure what that means? Use these tools to learn more about the sustainable development goals and the push for equitable learning for all children.
- Post-2015 Fact Sheet #1 (English / Français)
- Post-2015 Fact Sheet #2 (English / Français)
- Sample Letter on Post-2015 Education (English / Français)
- Girls' Education and the Post-2015 Agenda: How to Get Involved (English)
- Equitable Education and the Sustainable Development Agenda (English / Français)
- The Road to Quality Education for All (English / Français)
- The Road to Sustainable Development for All (English)
- What the Global Goals Mean for Girls' Education (English)
- Equitable Learning for All (English / Français / Español)
- Open Working Group Equitable Learning Policy Brief (English / Français / Español)
- Civil Society Recommendations for the Sub-Saharan Africa Regional Ministerial Conference on Education Post-2015 (English)
- Managing the transition from MDGs to SDGs: Lessons learned for gender equality from the MDGs to galvanize transformative change (English)
- Prioritizing Inclusive, Quality and Equitable Education and Life-Long Learning: Strengthening the Korea Framework for Action (English / Français / Português)
- Financing Inclusive, Quality, and Equitable Education: Strengthening the Korea Framework for Action (English)
- Financing for Development Means Financing for Education (English / Français)
- A Review of the Outcomes of the Third Internaitonal Conference on Financing for Development (English)
- Education Priorities for the Post-2015 Summit (English & Français)
Fact Sheets on Women's and Girls' Issues
Use these fact sheets to provide data for your advocacy and show the scope of the issues you tackle.
- Gender-Based Violence: A Look at the Numbers (English / Français)
- Girls' Education: A Look at the Numbers - (English / Français)
- Women and Poverty in Africa: A Look at the Numbers - (English)
Improve the way you communicate your advocacy goals by applying the 'best practices' and tips found in these tools.
- Communicating with Government Officials (English / Français)
- Communicating with the Media (English / Français)
- Best Practices for Engaging Government Officials (English / Français)
- Tweeting for Advocacy - (English / Français)
- Blogging for Advocacy - (English / Français)
Women Thrive's updated Fundraising Guide for Women’s Community-Based Organizations provides practical instructions, valuable insights, and essential information on how to raise funds from a variety of donors, including foundations. It also features profiles of more than 30 funders that support grassroots organizations around the world.
Women Thrive's amazing partners have produced some incredible advocacy tools. Check out some of our favorites.
- The Education We Want: An Advocacy Toolkit by The Youth Advocacy Group of the UN Secretary-General's Global Education First Initiative (English / Français / Español)
- The Power of Advocacy video by Plan International ( English )
Have an idea for a new tool? Is there another resource you'd like to see here? Email Noel Schroeder at email@example.com.