- This event has passed.
Gender Roundtable: They Are Not Just Starving: Challenges Facing Women and Girls in the Horn of Africa
November 30, 2011
On November 30, 2012 Women Thrive Worldwide hosted a Gender Roundtable event called “They Are Not Just Starving: Challenges Facing Women and Girls in the Horn of Africa.” Five speakers discussed the widely overlooked dangers (such as rape and banditry) that threaten refugees in Somalia, Sudan, Ethiopia, and Kenya. Women and adolescent girls are particularly at risk in this region, where refugee camps often lack the amount of security and food rationing necessary for a safe living environment. Ritu Sharma, Women Thrive’s co-founder and President, moderated the panel.
- Ariela Blatter: Director of Policy and Advocacy, Refugees International
- Jonathan Ernst: Photo-journalist, recently on assignment to the region for Lutheran World Relief
- Hebah Reed: Vice President of Communications and Public Affairs, Islamic Relief USA
- Ann Steensland: Chief of Staff, Alliance to End Hunger
- Joan Timoney: Director of Advocacy and External Relations, Women’s Refugee Commission