FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — Media Contact: Devon O’Reilly – 202-999-4481
New report highlights the lack of grassroots women’s inclusion in SDG policy-making.
WASHINGTON, D.C. (May 22) — Women Thrive Alliance is proud to announce the launch of its second annual National SDG Scorecard Report.
The Scorecard was developed to support grassroots-led data around the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Goal 5 on gender equality (SDG5) at a national level. The Scorecard, designed in collaboration with Alliance members, is a tool to build qualitative data useful for crafting evidence-based advocacy messages around members countries’ SDG-related decision-making and implementation processes. The Scorecard survey collects data on four dimensions of civil society engagement:
- Knowledge and access to resources about the SDGs
- Participation in and partnerships around the implementation of the SDGs, and SDG5 specifically
- Funding for SDG-related advocacy
- Advocates’ safety
“The National SDG Scorecard provides much-needed grassroots data to fill in the gaps in the “big data” movement around the SDGs. There is power housed within this data that I am excited to see grassroots advocates all over the world leverage to hold their governments accountable and have their voices heard!”’ said Mónica de Pinto Ribeiro Hancke, Advocacy and Membership Manager at Women Thrive.
This year, 114 grassroots organizations in 19 countries in five regions of the world completed the Scorecard. Of the 114 Scorecard respondents:
- 99% have heard of the SDGs and SDG5,
- 94% believe SDG5 is a useful tool to hold governments accountable to addressing gender equality;
- however, only 30% have been consulted on the inclusion of SDG5 in National Development Plans, and
- only 44% feel that grassroots women and girls’ needs and priorities are reflected in governments’ SDG and SDG5 decision-making, and
- only 13% received funding for SDG-related advocacy activities in 2017.
Read the detailed results and recommendations in the Global Report here.
Women Thrive Alliance is a global feminist advocacy network of over 300 grassroots gender equality and women’s rights groups in over 50 countries with one goal: make gender equality a reality. Visit www.womenthrive.org.